October 6, 2010

Sentimental Clutter


I recently saw these two questions from Naomi Seldin, the writer of the Simpler Living column for the Times Union:

If you’ve tackled sentimental clutter:

1. How did you get yourself to purge what you didn’t need?

2. How did you decide to keep those really important things without letting them take over your house?

There are several great comments from Naomi's readers on how to get rid of those meaningful items.  I love the idea of taking a photo of the beloved item or donating the item to a charity that you or your family really cares about.

I think that when purging those beloved stuffed toys or your mother's silverware, you have to be in the right mood. Don't purge these items when you are feeling loss, self-doubt or sadness. Hold onto them for another day when you are feeling empowered and the need for organization and cathartic cleansing is top of mind. However, don't beat yourself up if you find it's too painful to get rid of an item. If you really want to keep it, it won't hurt you or anyone else to find a special place for it.

No matter what, I will never get rid of my 40-year-old Teddy Bear. You can't make me!

Photo by scazon/Flickr

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your thoughtful response to these questions! I'll share it with my other readers, too.

My teddy bear (the one I had when I was a baby) isn't quite 40 years old, but I have no plans to get rid of him, either. I'll take a photo of him and post it on my blog so you can see what he looks like.

Cheers,
Naomi

tinyyellowteardrop said...
This comment has been removed by the author.