December 17, 2012

A Minimalist Haircut

I refuse to spend more than 5 minutes on my hair in the morning. A quick wash and condition, towel dry and comb and maybe some styling cream and that's all I want to commit to. However, what I want now is to really minimize my hair routine by cutting it all off.


Currently I have the kind of hair that many of my friends say they would kill for. It's naturally blonde and naturally curly and pretty fine. It air dries quickly with just some scrunching and my friend Nancy calls it the "best beach hair." I just wish I was always on the beach. But with curly hair comes frizziness and with blonde hair comes brassiness. Every strand goes flying or gets tangled in the slightest breeze and I usually end up putting it up in a bun or a ponytail just to get it out of my face.

About 12-13 years ago I got so tired of it that I cut it all off and ended up looking a lot like Mia Farrow with her signature pixie cut. I loved the feel of it and after most people got over the shock of seeing my long curls gone, I think they liked it too. However, with such short hair, I had to get it cut every month and that cost added up.

I am in the mood again to hack it off and have a really minimal cut ala Charlize Theron or Emma Watson. I would be curious to hear from you about how you feel about your own hair and how you minimize your hair frustrations.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I keep mine long, but would love to chop it short. The only reasons I don't are that it dries super fast anyways (~20 minutes even though my hair's thin) and I have NO chin, so a short haircut would look a little strange on me. But my hair is practically maintenance free at the moment. Two $80 haircuts a year (yes, I know. It's washington DC. Anything less and you come out bald around here.) But at least I know that what I'm paying for my haircut is going to help my stylist build his fledgling business and support his wife and two little kids. Can't think of a better place to spend my money.

Anonymous said...

I just got a pixie cut last month, and LOVE it. I, too, am unwilling to spend more than a minute on my hair in the morning. A small squirt of gel or mousse after the shower, fluff it up a bit, and away I go. Yes, the cost of frequent cuts are a bit irksome, but for me, it sure beats struggling with my bird's nest of curls on a daily basis. I really DO feel like a pixie with this cut!
Randa

tinyyellowteardrop said...

Thanks for the comments ladies!

Anonymous said...

wow your photo of christine the author is fantanstic a raving georgeous beauty please keep the cute curls from your admirer and old friend christine is still wonderful and has many great attributes, i especially am fond of her creative and conservative style..stay timeless christine